5 Types of Insurance Homebuyers Should Consider To Protect Their Home

Buying a home is one of the most important decisions and significant investment most people will ever make. To protect this investment, homeowners need insurance. Depending on the location of your property, you may need more than one type of insurance. Here are five insurance policies that homeowners should consider to protect their home.

1. Homeowner’s Insurance

Homeowner’s insurance is compulsory for homeowners with mortgages. A typical homeowner’s insurance policy will cover:
  • Dwelling coverage: Pays for damage to your home and detached structures, including sheds, fences and garages up to the limit you specify.
  • Personal property: Repairs or replaces the inside contents of your home, such as furniture, appliances and clothing, if they are damaged or stolen
  • Liability protection: Protects the homeowner in case someone injures themselves on your property and files a claim against you.
  • Medical payments: Covers the medical bills associated with an injury that occurred on your property, including co-payments, MRIs, CAT scans, EKGs, etc.
  • Loss of use: Pays for living expenses if your home is too damaged to occupy while repairs are being made after you filed a claim.
2. Flood Insurance

Homeowners insurance usually does not cover flood damage, including flooding resulting from hurricanes, torrential downpours and other natural events. Many homeowners falsely believe they don’t need flood insurance because they don’t live in a high-risk area, but the widespread flooding that resulted from Hurricane Harvey in the Houston metropolitan area showed that intense storms could damage homes, not in a designated floodplain. Enter your address in the FEMA Floor Map to help make your decision,

Homeowners can purchase a National Flood Insurance Program policy that protects their home up to $250,000 in damages and personal property up to $100,000 in damages, or you can elect to protect either home or personal property.

3. Earthquake Insurance

Earthquake insurance is a form of property insurance that pays the policyholder in the event of an earthquake that causes damage to the property. Some insurance companies consider earthquake insurance an add-on to a standard homeowner’s policy while others may make you purchase as a stand-alone insurance.

This U.S. Geological Survey map shows that western states are more prone to earthquakes, whereas eastern states have a relatively lower risk.

4. Umbrella Coverage

Umbrella coverage provides additional liability coverage above the limits set by your homeowner’s insurance policy. It is designed to help protect the homeowner from major claims and lawsuits, and as a result, it helps protect your assets and your future. It does this in two ways: Provides additional liability coverage above the limits of your homeowners and auto insurance policies. This protection will kick in when the liability on these other policies has been exhausted. Provides coverage for claims that may be excluded by other liability policies including libel, slander, property damage, liability coverage on rental units you own, malicious prosecution and other personal liability situations.

5. Valuable Items Coverage

This insurance policy supplements your standard homeowner’s policy by providing higher limits to cover your more valuable items including jewelry, cameras, computers, golf equipment, fine art or antiques, should they be stolen or damaged. No matter what hand the weather or life deals, homeowners should be financially prepared to handle any situation. Insuring your home and possessions sufficiently to be repaired or replaced can help provide this peace-of-mind.

If you have any questions about the types of home insurance coverage you should purchase for your home, please contact your Certainty Home Loans mortgage professional.
- Jan 22, 2018